Aquila Welcomes New Clients in 2017, Increases Revenue & Launches a New, Revamped  Web site.

Miami, FL USA – May 2017

Aquila Welcomes Norwegian Cruise Lines, United Health Care, Hertz, CBRE, plus a Dozen of New Clients in the 1st Quarter of 2017.  The Company Reports 25.10% Increase in 2016 Revenue and Launches a Newly Revamped Website.

Aquila, a full service national and international on-site health & well-being management company welcomed Norwegian Cruise Lines, United Health Care, Hertz, CBRE, and a dozen of new clients in the 1st Quarter of 2017. The mix of new clients added a diverse portfolio to Aquila’s existing customer base where the company is providing on-site fitness center & well-being services.

The Company also announced 25.10% increase in revenue for 2016. Aquila continues the growth path from 2015 when the Company was selected among INC 5000 fastest growing private companies in the U.S. with a 3-year growth rate of 68%. This brings the overall 4-year growth rate to 93.10%.

“We are excited about continued changes in 2017!” said Yvan Miklin, President & CEO of Aquila. “The 4-year growth rate of 93.10% has been simply amazing and is a direct result of our employee’s hard work, our dedication to our customers, and our innovative approaches in the health & fitness arena. We are looking forward to bringing our solutions to more people in 2017.”

To fine-tune its digitally-led communication strategies in 2017, Aquila launched a newly revamped web site on May 8th, 2017. The new and completely redesigned website offers visitors detailed insight into the Company’s history, essential information on Aquila’s services, selected case studies, and exciting growth prospects. The website has a clean and modern design, improved functionality, and is focused on the Company’s mission to deliver on-site health & fitness engagement services that have a lasting impact.

The new web site is located at the same address: